The 1st July, 1903, was the official birth date of the “Canadian Engineer Corps” as a “Permanent Corps”. It’s organization had been recommended by the G.O.C. Canadian Militia in 1899: in his report one year later he advised that the initial steps to form the Corps had already been taken and that a “Military Engineer of high standing” would shortly be required to command and inspect it. The first officers were Major P. Weatherbe, promoted lieutenant-colonel to command and Captain G.S. Maunsell, promoted Major and made second-in-command.

The initial establishment was seven officers and 125 other ranks. Those seven officers were Lieut-Colonel P. Weatherbe, Major G.S. Maunsell, Lieutant (later Brigadier) J.L.H. Bogart, Lieutant A. Stewart, Lieutant W.B. Lindsay (later Major-General), Lieutant P.S. Benoit (later Major-General) and Lieutant H.T. Hughes (later Brigadier-General).

The Corps was re-named “The Royal Canadian Engineers” on 1st February 1904.

The non-permanent engineer corps acquired sole title to the name “Canadian Engineers” after the establishment of the permanent corps.

The badge was the Royal Cypher surmounted by the Imperial Crown. The cap badge was similar to that of the Royal Engineers except for the addition of the word “Canadian” and the substitution of a wreath of maple leaves for the Royal

Note – the permanent force is today’s “regular force”, the non-permanent force is today’s “militia/reserves”.


– Kerry, Col. A. J. and Maj W.A. McDill, The History of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, Volume 1, 1749 – 1939. The Military Engineers Association of Canada, Ottawa, 1962.
edvii-badge prior-badge